Thursday, December 6, 2007

What is Your Hobby?

Shannen asked me a couple of days ago regarding my hobby. She asked what my hobby is. I looked at her funnily and asked her to define hobby. Is it something that I like/love to do, yet don't have the time to? Or something that I do everyday? Or is hobby = interests? Or something else?

I checked online for the word 'hobby' and was rewarded with the following from Wikipedia:

Hobbies are practiced for interest and enjoyment, rather than financial reward. Examples include collecting, creative and artistic pursuits, making, tinkering, sports and adult education. Engaging in a hobby can lead to acquiring substantial skill, knowledge, and experience. However, personal fulfillment is the aim.

What are hobbies for some people are professions for others: a chef may enjoy cooking as a hobby, while a professional game tester might enjoy playing (and helping to debug) computer games. Generally speaking, the person who does something for fun, not remuneration, is called an amateur (or hobbyist), as distinct from a professional.


and from Dictionary.com:

hob·by1 /ˈhɒbi/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[hob-ee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -bies. 1. an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation: Her hobbies include stamp-collecting and woodcarving.
2. a child's hobbyhorse.
3. Archaic. a small horse.
—Idiom4. ride a hobby, to concern oneself excessively with a favorite notion or activity. Also, ride a hobbyhorse.


Apparently there are many types of hobbies, mainly:
1 Amateur science related
2 Animal-related
3 Arts and crafts
4 Collecting
5 Computer-related
6 Cooking
7 DIY (Do It Yourself)
8 Electronics
9 Film-making
10 Games
11 Gardening
12 Historical reenactment
13 Interactive fiction
14 Internet-based hobbies
15 Literature
16 Model (scale model) building
17 Music
18 Observation
19 Outdoor/nature activities
20 Performing arts
21 Photography
22 Sports or other physical activities
23 Toys of some sophistication
24 Transportation

These can be found here if you are interested in knowing.

Well, I guess my hobby is gaming and reading story books. Not forgetting irritating people around me. =P I can assure you, both gaming and reading are costly hobbies. Think reading became more of a habit than hobby. I can't seem to sleep without reading a chapter or more from a book; I can't shit when I'm not reading a book/comic; and I simply don't know what to do when I'm bored with gaming and TV. I need books to survive!! It's been a long time since I went on a shopping spree for books...hmmm. Since I got my pay liaoz.....time to hit Times bookstore! Keke. I'm a member there...got 10% discount mah. LoL.

Anyway back to the story. Shannen claimed that she does not have a hobby, so I introduced gaming(more like drag her to the dark side of gaming) to her. Welcome to the evil side of gaming my dear! LoL. I passed her one of my PC tycoon games yesterday and today she came back to me saying she does not understand how to play the game. The rule to gaming if you're a first timer. Play the tutorials or read the instructions. Even though I'm an avid fan of The Sims and had been playing since age 17, I played the tutorial for The Sims 2 when it launched a couple of years back. And there's no going back for me. With the add ons and expansion packs, think I spent a couple of hundreds on The Sims and The Sims 2. I am proud to say that I've ALL expansion packs & add ons to The Sims 2 and only about 5 expansion packs to The Sims. Gaming is VERY, VERY expensive. LoL.

I've another hobby, more like pastime. I bake, I cook, I poison. LoL. No lah, I love cooking, but only when I'm in the mood. I love to bake. I love to cook western food and cheesecakes. Feng asked me to bake a cheesecake for him (again) for V-day next year. Diaoz. It's expensive lor!! Grr..I love food. LoL. To have a hobby you must first have the time...else got or don't have, like makes no difference. So what's your hobby?

No comments: