Tuesday, April 8, 2008
Was on MC yesterday cause I was having insomnia for the past week. Let me tell you, I don't party and I don't really keep late nights. My insomnia is not that I'm not able to sleep at the right time, it's just that I keep waking up till I can't have a proper rest. And guess what my doctor gave me? She gave me about 10 pills of 10mg Valium. Keke. But apparently I didn't take it last night for fear of being dependent on the drug, cause I woke up at 5 different times last night. *Yawn* I'm tired.
My dad told me the other day that if you have dreams, it means your brain is still active and you're not getting the rest you need. Therefore you'll feel more tired if you dream, as compared to when you're not dreaming. Dreaming is common, but for someone who rarely dreams, it is not common. I used to dream about two - four times in a month. But for the past 1 week, I've been dreaming everyday and waking up in the middle of the night, just staring at the ceiling until the next time I wake up. Doctor asked if I was under any stress, and I told her none that I can think of. I mean, my classes have yet to start and I'm not that stressed up at work now that I've tendered. But apparently I AM under stress, cause I've cold sores again. It started on Sat and seriously, I had a hard time trying to conseal the blister-like bumps on my lips. Oh yah, digress abit, thanks to Jac, Jasca, Peifen and Weiqi for dinner at Xin Wang Cafe, White Sands on Friday and thanks to Erin and Jiawei for the belated birthday gift ($50 Taka voucher) and treat at Cheesecake House on Sat. =P Thanks for remembering!
Anyway, back to the topic. I seriously have no idea what I am stressed about. About money maybe? Or what? Nopes..not about money. Never about money. LoL. About studies? for God's sake! I haven't start class yet! About work? As I mentioned, I had already tendered. Nothing to stress about. About relationship? Well, me and Feng are getting on pretty well nowadays, after we had a serious talk about our relationship. About family? No mah...haven't quarreled with my parents and I even helped out with the chores every once in a blue moon...my parents' health are in pink..so nothing to stressed about. Sigh.
According to eMedicine Health, insomnia is caused by:
- Common stimulants associated with poor sleep include caffeine and nicotine. You should consider not only restricting caffeine use in the hours immediately before bedtime but also limiting your total daily intake. (I rarely drink coffee at work now cause it just dehydrates me, the only tea I drink nowadays is green tea...which I stopped drinking since my menses came...and I DON'T SMOKE BEFORE I SLEEP. In fact, I don't have this problem if I smoke before I sleep...)
- People often use alcohol to help induce sleep, as a nightcap. However, it is a poor choice. Alcohol is associated with sleep disruption and creates a sense of nonrefreshed sleep in the morning. (I don't drink alcohol anymore..not since I started driving..so....OUT!)
- Medications for high blood pressure have also been associated with poor sleep. (Had my blood pressure taken and it was normal)
- A disruptive bed partner with loud snoring or periodic leg movements also may impair your ability to get a good night's sleep. (Hmm...I sleep alone...and even when Feng is over, I sleep better as compared to sleeping alone)
Another website, 4woman suggests that to cure insomnia, I must:
- Try to go to sleep at the same time each night and get up at the same time each morning. Do not take naps after 3 p.m.
- Avoid caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol late in the day or at night.
- Get regular exercise. Exercise during the day--make sure you exercise at least 5 to 6 hours before bedtime.
- Make sure you eat dinner at least 2 to 3 hours before bedtime.
- Keep your bedroom dark, quiet, and cool. If light is a problem, try a sleeping mask.
- If noise is a problem, try earplugs, a fan, or a "white noise" machine to cover up the sounds.
- Follow a routine to help relax and wind down before sleep, such as reading a book, listening to music, or taking a bath.
- If you can't fall asleep within 20 minutes or don't feel drowsy, get up and read or do something that is not too active until you feel sleepy. Then try going back to bed.
- If you lay awake worrying about things, try making a to-do list before you go to bed.
- Use your bed only for sleep and sex. (this one is funny...haha!)
Doctor asked if I was working shift work (err..no), or under stress (not really, nothing to be stressed up for). She asked if I keep waking up to go toilet or get a drink, which I replied no. I'll wake up at stare at the ceiling, or listen to whatever sounds is available (birds, cats, my rabbit..or even radio) and trying my hardest to go back to sleep. Yesterday morning, I woke up at 850am, and I know I couldn't take it anymore, so I decided to go see doctor. Feng accompanied me to have breakfast, after which I fell asleep on the couch till 1+pm. I messaged Shannen and went back to sleep, all the way till 5pm. I felt a little refreshed and I helped mom prepare dinner. I made myself go to bed at 11pm, and guess what? I was wide awake all the way till 12+ (I was looking at the clock), where I finally fell asleep. Only to wake up 3 times (once at 3+am..checked out the time...another at 5+am...and the other I didn't go check) in the middle of the night and 2 times before my alarm rings (once at 6+am and another at 715am..I was supposed to wake up at 8am). Seriously, I'm gonna buy milk. Drink a cup before sleeping tonight, like what the doctor suggested. Don't wana rely on valium unless really needed. Sigh. Something is wrong with me.......*yawn*
As told by 雪语 at 09:55