1. You grew up watching He-man, MASK, Transformers, Silver Hawk and Mickey Mouse. Not to forget, Ninja turtles, My Little Pony and Smurfs too.
I still remember Ninja Turtles was at 6:30pm! LoL..didn't watch silver hawk or my little pony though....
2. You grew up brushing your teeth with a mug in Primary school during recess time. You will squat by a drain with all your classmates beside you, and brush your teeth
with a coloured mug.The teachers said you must brush each side 10 times too.
This is for younger kids ba..I don't rem we had to do this..although the dentist did teach us to brush each side 10 times.....
3. You know what SBC stands for.
DUH. For those who don't know, it's Singapore Broadcasting Corporation
4. You pay 40 cents for Chocolate or Strawberry MILK every week in class.
This applies to underweight students only leh..
5. You watch a very popular Malay dubbed Japanese drama on RTM1 about schoolgirls who possess powerful skills in volleyball called Meoro Attack.
Huh? I'm Chinese, I don't watch Malay shows..although I used to watch Tamil shows..
6. You find your friends with pagers and handphone cool in Secondary school.
HP? What hp? There was only zone phones!! My dad bought his first hp when I was in sec 3..it was a Motorola 388, and costs $800+!! And there was only Singtel. As for pager, there's Singtel, Sunpage, M1 and I can't rem the other one.
7. SBS buses used to be non-airconditioned. The bus seats are made of wood and the cushion is red. The big red bell gives a loud BEEP! when pressed. There are colourful tickets for TIBS buses.The conductor will check for tickets by using a machine which punches a hole in the ticket.
Hole puncher say hole puncher lah. I remember the bus fare was about 15cents per pax (for feeder bus). And the bell will sound as long as your finger is still pressing the button...those were the days.....
8. Envelopes given to us to donate to Sharity Elephant every Children's Day.
Every year I throw it into my bag, bring home, keep it somewhere and forget about it. LoL. Oh yah, for those who don't know, Sharity is pink. Don't think of a pink elephant...keke
9. You've probably read Young Generation magazine. You know who's Vinny the little vampire and Acai the constable.
Yes!! These books were published by EPB one mah. Young Generation mag I don't really read. But I do read Acai and Vinny..Vinny very cute
10. You were there when they first introduced MRT here. You went for the first ride with your parents and you would kneel on the seat to see the scenery.
On the contrary. I stood up and wouldn't hold on to the railing. LoL. Look ma! No hands!
11. Movie tickets used to cost only $3.50.
Ya!! Even when I was in sec sch!! And $3.50 was like expensive ones..and the tickets? Seat numbers were drawn on the tickets using a color pencil (usually red) and torn off.
12. Gals are fascinated by Strawberry Short Cake and Barbie Dolls.
More fascinated with Barbie Dolls leh. And cars. I used to have a remote controlled jeep! And lots of small cars
13. You learn to laugh like The Count in Sesame Street.
That's my dad. I learn to talk like Ernie.."here fishy fishy...hheeeerre fishy fishy"
14. You longed to buy tibits called Kaka (20 cents per pack), and Ding Dang (50 cents per box), that had a toy in it and it changes every week not forgetting the 15 cents animal crackers and the ring pop, where the lollipop is the diamond on the ring.
Ding dangcan still be found, except the price went up to $1 liaoz. Ring pop was so exp back then, so if you had one, you're ok lor. But if you have >3, you're the kind of the class...for my class that is
15. You watched TV2 (also known as Channel 10) cartoons because Channel 5 never had enough cartoons for you.
I seriously can't rem this part..cause tv were so small last time!! 17" is considered the 38" now. LoL. and there's no remote control..and I had to tune the tv myself whenever the picture ran
16. Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, The Three Investigators, Famous Five and Secret Seven are probably the thickest story books you ever thought you have read. Even Sweet Valley High and Malory Towers.
I read Famous Five, Secret Seven and Malory Towers. Damn..the Famous Five damn thick..and NO PICTURES!!
17. KFC used to be a high class restaurant that serve food in plates and let you use metal forks and knives.
And I still can rem the garlic chicken they introduced last time..whatever happened to the forks and knives? And the garlic chicken??
18. The most vulgar thing you said was asshole and idiot and THE MOST EXTREME WAS 'super white'...you just couldn't bring yourself to say the hokkien relative.
Err no? I used to say fuck and cheebye alot back in sec 1..LoL. but I remember not knowing what cb is, and I went home to ask my mom back in primary 4, and mom just kept pushing the question away
19. Catching was the IN thing and twist as the magic word.
Zero point leh! And hanging upside down from the monkey ladder, and doing somersaults with the pull up bar at the fitness corner
20. Your English workbooks was made of some damn poor quality paper that was smooth and yellow.
Yah! Cannot rub too hard, else the page will just tear, and poor Mr Wally will be torn into two..
21. CDIS were your bestfriend
I used to watch their programs after school, quite educational
22. The only computer lessons in school involved funny pixellised characters in 16 colours walking about trying to teach you maths.
Got meh? I remembered my first PC was from IBM, and I only see green words on the screen. I've to find a:\ drive and do a dir and then autoexec before I can play my game of alley cat.
23. Waterbottles were slinged around your neck and a must everywhere you go.
Hmm..sort of. But I don't sling around my neck. By P6 I gave up. I drank from water cooler instead.
24. Boys loved to play soccer with small plastic balls in the basketball court.
Nopez..my sch guys like to play scissors paper stone on the balancing beam. There will be 2 teams, one from each side, see who conquer the whole balancing beam lor
25. Teng-teng, five stones, chapteh, hentam bola and zero point were all the rage with the girls and boys too...
Yah, as well as masak masak..
26. Science was fun with the balsam and the angsana being the most important plants of our lives, guppies and swordtail being the most important fish.
Yes!! OMG..the person who wrote this actually remembered all these? I rem playing with iodine to find carbohydrates and growing mould on breads
27. Who can forget Ahmad, Bala, Sumei and John, eternalized in our minds from the textbooks. Even Mr Wally & Mr. Yakki. What abt Miss Lala??? And Zaki and Tini in Malay Textbooks
I like Mr wally...lol
28. We carry out experiments of our own to get yourself badges for being a Young Zoologist/Botanist etc.
I almost got the young scientist badge..almost...
29. Every Children's day and National day you either get pins or pens with 'Happy Children's Day 1993' or dumb files with 'Happy National Day 1994'.
I think I still have a couple around. I also have a foldable bag that says 'Damai Primary School. Happy National Day 1994'
30. In Primary six you had to play buddy for the younger kids like big sister and brother.
I had to take care of 2...were they naughty or what. Kept disappearing..LoL
31. We wear BM2000, BATA, or Pallas shoes.
I wore Bata back in primary school and converse in sec sch leh..LoL
32. Your form teacher taught you Maths, Science and English.
Actually, my primary school form teacher taught us Science, English and Art. PE & music was taught by my Chinese teacher. LoL. Do they still do this now?
33. The worksheets were made of brown rough paper of poor quality.
Yupz, those were the paper back then. But I believe they are thicker than the ones we have now. It's only rougher...
34. You went to school in slippers and a raincoat when it rained, and you find a dry spot in the school to sit down, dry your feet,and wear your dry and warm socks and shoes.
You think I care? I got 2 pairs of shoes back then. Wet, then wet lor! But I'll put on my raincoat which will cover me and my bag. And the raincoat never leaves my bag, except when it's wet
35. School dismissal time was normally around 1 pm.
Yah..and there's 2 sessions. Morning for P1/2/5/6. Afternoon for P3/4/7/8.
36. There would be spelling tests and mental sums to do almost everyday.
Spelling every week lah...where got everyday
37. Your friends considered you lucky and rich if your parents gave you $3 or more for pocket money everyday.
I got $1 for P1 nia leh. But think I p6 I got $3 le ba..can't really rem. But I rem sec 1 I got $7/day. Keke.
38. You see Wee Kim Wee's face in the school hall.
Don't rem...never pay attention. Was playing at the back of the hall...haha
39. You freak out when the teacher tells you to line up according to height and hold hands with the corresponding boy or girl
Heng I'm not the only tall girl..keke
40. Boys like to catch fighting spiders.
And I like cathing ants..and put them in those small suan mei (preserved plums) bottles and poke some holes at the top. All because I couldn't find any spiders.
41. Collecting and battling erasers was a pastime for boys.
I also got battle with girls!! Those erasers costs like 10cents per piece and had pictures of flags printed on them. Another game was using a pencil (non-mechanical, back then we sharpen our pencils almost everyday) and using it to "cross bridge" on a piece of paper..
42. Autograph books were loaded with 'Best Wishes', 'Forget Me Not', and small
poems like 'Bird fly high, hard to catch.Friend like you, hard to forget'.
Yah..and words like PSLE (please start learning english), and folded corners with "secret messages"..I still have my P6 autograph book!!
43. Class monitors and prefects loved to say 'You talk somemore, I write your name ah!'
Most of the prefects were from my class..and class monitors? They can't be bothered with me cause I was just a nobody back then.
44. There were at least 40 people in one class.
I believe my p6 class has 42ppl..of which about 10 of us were in the same secondary. And most of them got into Dunman High, TKGS etc.
45. Large, colourful schoolbags were carried.
Mine was pink! Shocking pink back in P4!! I could have slapped myself..yucks! But by P6 I was bringing a chic bag to school liao, those canvas de. My classmate brought a Moschino bag every now and then..think it's fake ba..haha
46. You brought every single book to school, even though there was one thing called the timetable.
and my bag was the heaviest in class. Mom said I would have grown taller if not for my bag. *Thank God*
Really miss those times. Of course there's still alot of things to remember; like how pager only could record numbers..and the bill for pager is like $15/mth, and those pager that could store words came out only in 1997. I know, cause I was the first few to have it. And again, my pager is pink. WTF. *Ptui* And my first hp was in 1999, and costs slightly lesser le..about 500+? LoL. And numbers starting with 96(hp) and 95(pg) means it's Singtel line. Number starting with 98(hp) was M1 and 92(pg) was Sunpage. And hp back then was only single line display. LoL. And weather wasn't this hot. And Super Bus was super cool then. Haha! Those were the days...