Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Tan Sri Lim Goh Tong Who?


Tan Sri Lim Goh Tong, the founder of Genting Highlands, had passed away. Heard it when Auntie told us just now. Her son in Malaysia had called to tell her the news. So I went online to search a few websites and I even found out the time that he passed away.

What boggled my mind was why every report states that Lim Goh Tong is 90 years old when someone born is 1918 is actually 89 this year? I mean he died today at 11:20am, and today is still in 2007. 2007 - 1918 = 89 isn't it? Or did my maths fail? Or did my calculator malfunction? *Shrugs shoulders*

Seriously, I never knew the name of Mr Lim Goh Tong until today. It was always Genting Highlands and the new IR projects, but never the name of the founder. I went to read up his profile on Wikipedia and realised that he's my next idol. Quoted from Wikipedia:

During the Genting project, Lim spent all he had without earning any income. He sold an 810-hectare rubber estate to raise RM2.5 million. In addition, he invested all the money he had made from iron mining, sub-contracting and hardware business. The project was a heavy drain on Lim's finances. When asked to invest in this project, Lim's friends turned him down and counselled him to drop the entire scheme instead.


He had foresight and had guts. This I really salute him. He did not die in vain though. Thousands of people get to enjoy his fruit of labour: Genting Highlands. May you rest in peace. I will try to learn your guts and your sight. *Salute + bow* Read about his death here.

No comments: